PLASTIC PITCH, ISSUE 8 (WINTER 2016)
Digital edition e-mailed direct to you!
The Canadian dollar may soon plummet under the 70-cent US mark. That impacts Canadian businesses that have to do large portions of their businesses in the United States. That includes the five Canadian major professional soccer clubs. We look at what the low dollar will mean to the Ottawa Fury, FC Edmonton, Toronto FC, the Montreal Impact and the Vancouver Whitecaps.
As well, in this issue, out now:
• While the United States moves to ban heading for youth players, we look at how Canada is treating the issue of soccer-player safety. Heading bans have been discussed, but there's no hard science to back it up...
• Meet Sonia Denoncourt, the Canadian put in charge of cleaning up CONCACAF's refereeing mess;
• We look at the Canadian producer and filmmakers behind the in-depth documentary on Juventus; how did Canadians convince the Agnelli family to give them access to one of Italy's most sacred sporting institutions?
• Calgary Foothills is prepping for another PDL season, but may need a new stadium to call home...
• We look back at Canada's campaign at the CONCACAF U-20 Women's Championship;
• Canada's World Cup qualifying campaign may only go as far as the veteran trio of Julian de Guzman, Atiba Hutchinson and Will Johnson can take it;
• Richard Whittall looks back to the University of British Columbia group that pioneered the field of soccer analytics.